Teeth Whitening by our Trenton dentist, Dr. Bradley Oldfin!
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in dentistry to quickly brighten your smile. A beautiful bright smile gives you a confidence boost and results in great lasting impressions.
Why did your teeth change color?
Many factors may play a role in your tooth discoloration. Eating habits and dental diseases may contribute to that. Here’s a more detailed list:
- Untreated tooth decay or gum disease may cause a change in the pearly white color of your teeth. Unfortunately in some of these cases whitening agents are ineffective, especially if the disease has caused hypersensitivity in teeth.
- Antibiotic staining like tetracycline during childhood may darken the color of the teeth.
- Trauma to your mouth and teeth may also darken the color of your teeth. If you’ve had bonding or tooth-coloured fillings on your front teeth, whitening could make these teeth a little lighter, but it might result in uneven results of brightness.
- Tooth discolouration due to age or passage of time is also very common.
- Eating and drinking habit may also affect the color of your teeth. Dark or brightly coloured foods, like blueberries or cherries, and drinking certain liquids, like red wine, coffee or tea can darken and stain your teeth over time.
- Smoking as well as the use of any tobacco products can also affect the color of your teeth negatively. White-teeth seekers in this group are considered good candidates for whitening techniques. People with yellowish teeth are thought to be the best bleaching candidates, followed by those with brownish-coloured teeth and then those with grayish teeth.
Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate for whitening especially if you have sensitive teeth, decay or white spots, gum disease, or crown and bridge work. If you are interested in brightening your smile, our Trenton dentist at Riverside Dental Centre is committed to working closely with you to determine your cosmetic needs and evaluate if whitening is the right solution to meet your needs. From in-office dental procedures to take-home whitening kits, our team of dental experts is available to assist you in selecting a suitable whitening system to improve your smile.