Dr. Bradley Oldfin – your TMJ Therapy specialist in Trenton
Dr. Bradley Oldfin – your TMJ Therapy specialist has achieved advanced post-graduate training in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders, and Sleep Breathing Disorders. He has completed extensive training and multiple mini residencies in TMJ and Orthodontics since 2004. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Craniofacial Pain (DABCP) and a distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain (FAACP) of which he has been a member since 2005. Dr. Oldfin is the founding member of the Canadian chapter of the AACP. He held a board position for 5 years of the Canadian chapter. He currently holds a position on the Institute Committee with the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain.
Other symptoms include:
- Radiating pain the face, neck and/or shoulder
- Jaw muscle stiffness
- Limited movement or locking of the jaw
- Chronic feeling of tiredness
- Ear symptoms, including hearing loss, ringing, or pain
- A change in the way your upper and lower teeth fit together
Learn more about TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder).
What Causes TMD?
The cause of TMD is not clear, but dentists believe that symptoms arise from problems with the muscles of the jaw or with the parts of the joint itself. Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or muscles of the head and neck -such as from a heavy blow or whiplash- can cause TMD. Other Possible Causes Include:
- Sleep Disorder Breathing
- Poor Body Posture
- Grinding or clenching the teeth, which puts a lot of pressure on the TMJ
- Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
- Presence of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ
- Stress, which can cause a person to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
TMJ treatment may be as simple as wearing a mouth guard, but it may also require more steps, depending on the severity of your disorder. Dr. Bradley Oldfin will happily examine your case and discuss your symptoms. He’ll come up with a proper treatment plan to alleviate your pain and reverse your symptoms. Should he determine the need to get other treatment professionals involved, like chiropractors, cranio/mandibular specialists, or physiotherapist, we’ll refer you to potential treatment partners and work together to relieve your symptoms